Saturday, December 27, 2008

December hike



Just a few days past Christmas, one of my friends called to go for a hike. My niece had a friend up as well, so we cooked breakfast at the mountain cabin before starting out. We walked past the ruins of the old commissary of the Peavine RR where glass that was melted 100 years ago is still on the ground.


There is also the remains of the settlers' old walkway to the spring.

Then we reached the falls. They were majestic with water! We had to wade through the creeks to cross them, but the weather was mild enough to do so. See our wet jeans?


We befriended another family's bulldog on the hike, and it posed charmingly for photos.

Sara's friend brought his banjo and carried it through the woods like the pied piper. It was a charming and blue-grassy sound coming through the woods.


1 comment:

A Colorful World said...

What a nice trip! I'd love to go up to the falls some time...I don't think I ever have. I love the traveling minstrel! :-) Cool that he plays the banjo--can fit right in with the rest of the family!