Saturday, January 24, 2009

Wintertime readings...



I love having time in winter to settle in with books. Here are a couple I've enjoyed over the cold evenings...

Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund is a lyrical book. I had seen it for years, and finally bought it this winter. 

"I have ever feared the weathervane in me. Sometimes I point toward Independence, isolation. Sometimes I rotate - my back to Independence - and I need and want my friends, my family, with a force like a gale. I have in me a spinnaker sail that finds the breeze and leads all my sails in that direction. I do not count myself fickle, for I have much loyalty in me, but I am changeable."


There is also A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway. It was revealing to read something autobiographical from "Papa." It brought to life the people and the times of Paris in the 1920s. 

"I've seen you, beauty, and you belong to me now, whoever you are waiting for and if I never see you again, I thought. You belong to me and all Paris belongs to me and I belong to this notebook and this pencil...wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast."


2 comments:

amy ellen said...

You should really join www.goodreads.com. I love it, and it provides me with suggestions for books to read in the winter months through what my friends are reading. And by the way...happiness is...Beatles books, Beatles documentaries, and Beatles music during winter, and all year long.

A Colorful World said...

Really great reviews! I haven't read either, but must add them to my list. I'll check out Amy's suggestion, too. I recently read Treasure Island for the first time (saw several movie/TV versions, but had never read the book) and LOVED it! Also am now reading A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, one of the few Twain books I had missed in my early reading. It's also delightful.

Marie