Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Fahrvergnugen

Today's first - a foray into a new language. German is something outside of anything I ever thought I'd consider learning, but here goes! A new person in your life can spark new interests and desires, literally and figuratively. 

Unfortunately or fortunately, my sister and I have had a terrible amount of fun with it already...When I asked her the first phrase from the book, "Was ist los?" she looked at me and replied very seriously, "Fahrvergnugen." We dissolved into hysterics for a bit, then she said, "No really, what does it mean?" I said, "It means, 'What is wrong?'" 

"The first phrase they teach you is 'What is wrong?'" Insert hysterical laughter again. 

I'll straighten up soon, I promise, and I'll be very proud when I can order some mulled wine from the Christmas markets in Germany. That is also on the list of desired firsts.




In the meantime, we've learned that "Fahrvergnügen was an advertising slogan used by the German automobile manufacturer Volkswagen in a 1990 U.S. ad campaign that included a stick figure driving a Volkswagen car...'Fahrvergnügen' means 'driving enjoyment' in English (from fahren, 'to drive,' and Vergnügen, 'enjoyment'). The term itself is not standard German but a neologism (compound noun) created especially for this advertising campaign."




No comments: