Sunday, August 3, 2008

Follow Up

I went back to the 509 this morning, and things were much better. I made waffles with oatmeal and pecans, and we topped them with peaches and blackberries. I love the bounty from this time of year. On our last hike, my sister and I picked MANY ripe blueberries along the trail to refresh ourselves.

Dad started a "biography" that I "demanded," as he wrote, back in the 1990's. He's been holding off letting me read it, but I likewise demanded yesterday, and I enjoyed it so much! It brings the Depression and WWII to life. I told him he needs to keep it up. I learned he used to love to climb into his dad's lap when he was little, and though "Pappaw" wasn't a hugger, he would cradle dad in his arm while he read the paper or something. This was so sweet, and it struck me as odd that the same man cradled both my father and myself in his lap. There is something awesome about that overlapping of generations.

Today I cut the ribbon for the opening of a new exhibit at work - the 100th year of the National Cemetery. I'm using a pair of Andrew Johnson's old tailor shears, and I just hope they work!!!

3 comments:

A Colorful World said...

I am very excited about your Dad's bio and hope one day I will be allowed to read it too. It is about one of my favorite people in this world, and about a time I am so passionate about, as you know! How wonderful that you are encouraging him to do this! I also love that you will be using one of Andrew Johnson's shears to cut the ribbon today!

Wish I had some fresh blueberries! Alas, I must wait to have a garden again, but that will come. Lovely photograph...in fact, you are using some great ones on your blog, and I am enjoying it so much. How did you like A Colorful World?

Kenna said...

I think "A Colorful World" is dazzling!

A Colorful World said...

Thanks! I'm having fun with it.